Columbia County, OR – Keep it Local Columbia County is launching the first coordinated county-wide holiday marketing campaign called “Catch the Holiday Spirit” on November 19. The campaign will run Nov. 19 through Dec. 28. The goals are to connect the communities of Columbia County and keep local dollars local in order to strengthen our local economy.
This grassroots campaign has been talking with local folks who say they want to shop right here in our Columbia County communities and support businesses in the place where we live. The campaign will promote just that, shopping locally for the upcoming Holiday Season.
Why a grassroots campaign? Why is it so important to shop locally? AMIBA (American Independent Business Alliance), reports that in a survey of over 3,000 independent business owners in 2015, published by the Institute for Local Self-Reliance, there was a powerful correlation between sustained “buy independent/buy local” campaigns and success of local businesses. Independent businesses in communities with grassroots business alliances consistently promoting the benefits of buying locally reported an average revenue increase of 9.3% compared to 4.9% growth among independents in communities without such alliances.
The short and sweet is that grassroots shop local campaigns work.
Here’s how everyone can “Catch the Holiday Spirit” across Columbia County:
- Word of mouth: It works! Tell your neighbor. Talk up your community.
- Get social: Follow our @KeepitlocalColumbiaCounty FB page. Share and comment. Post on your personal page showing where you shop and why you love local!
- Get active: Participate in the Catch the Spirit Campaign by shopping locally across the county Nov. 19 – Dec. 28. Find participating businesses at keepitlocalcc.com. Fill up your “Spirit” Card, and return it to be entered in the prize drawing (3 prizes worth $50 each will be awarded in each community, and one for the county overall)! Attend the open houses on Nov. 19, participate in Small Business Saturday on Nov. 26.
- Join the Catch the Holiday Spirit campaign Nov. 19 through Dec. 28: Customers use Spirit Cards when shopping at participating stores. For each $10 they spend or per transaction at a financial institution, a box is checked. A Spirit Card will have 20 boxes valued at $200 spent locally, and a full card can be entered to win the prize drawings. Business owners must purchase an advertising package to participate in the Spirit Campaign. Go to keepitlocalcc.com/Campaigns to view more about each area.
- Host an Open House on Nov 19. This is free to participate. Simply submit your flyer and your events for free on the online Business Directory keepitlcoalcc.com, and the campaign will promote your event.
- Engage in Small Business Saturday on Nov. 26. You can order swag (shop small bags, get banners, balloons and more) at Free Marketing Materials for Small Business Saturday Shop Small. If you want to partner, contact the campaign for ideas.